Sunday, April 6, 2014

Connecting car stereo in Toyota Starlet



So I was going to swap stereo between my two cars. This is some pictures of it.

This is the Kia Pride stereo outlet. Everything is ISO ready. Very easy to disconnect the stereo.
I also removed the steel cage.

Here you see the ISO-standard. Everything except the antenna goes to this contact.

However on the Starlet, it was not the original. Some "moron" had tampered with the cables, and also cut cables and so on..  I had to find the ignition cable (grey) and then found some permanent 12v plus so the stereo remembers the volume and tracknumber when turning the ignition of. The yellow read one is now connected permanently to 12v +. And the red goes to the grey cable (ignition 12v +)

Here you see the cables cut. And still the moron who connected the previous cable did route some new cables. The old stereo had permanently connected power. But the newer Pioneer would then always be illuminated if I used that. So I had fix that.

Well finally everything work like it should. Pioneer stereo with USB in the Toyota Starlet..

2 comments:

  1. So you did replace the Kia with the Starlet indeed... Great!

    I also have a Pioneer Radio with USB. Previous radio was a kenwood cassete player, I put it myself. Just swapped them, wiring was 100% compatible already.

    I still have my Starlet, and plan to keep till the winter, at least. Im going to do some minor fixes on the interior (seatbelts and other minor stuff), perhaps I will send you some photos.

    Greetings from Greece
    George

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi George, nice to hear from you!

      Yes, The Kia has been delivered to the scrapyard, so now I´m going full Starlet! :) Finally, feels great! The Starlet feels solid and reliable. The Starlet has a bit harder shock absorbers and has lower gears than the Kia. I can drive it on the fifth gear as low as 55-60 km. On the Kia was about 65-70 km. The Starlet feels more like a go-kart then the sloppy Kia.

      And you also have good taste when i comes to stereos obviously. :) The previous stereo was an Philips cassette player. I think all starlets here in Sweden had those as original.

      Great to hear that you still have the Starlet! I hope you will keep it! :) I think I will keep mine for many years.
      Yes of course, you are welcome to send me some photos of your minor fixes, I put them up here.

      Greetings from Sweden :)

      Delete