Friday, January 17, 2014

Georges Toyota Starlet from 1996

For about a week ago I got an email from George from Greece. He also has an Toyota Starlet, just like mine and had found this homepage. Just as I he likes these great nippy little cars!

I asked him if I could get some information and pictures of his Starlet to put here on the blog (and compare), and he was kind enough to provide me with some pictures and information. Thanks George!

Here are some information about the little reliable, unstoppable "The Beast":


"Some history and fun facts:
Originally bought in August 1996. First owner was the wife of one of my dads coworker. No crashes other than crashing the rear hatch by reversing (hence the glanza hatch door), mild usage until then, around 100k kms until around 2005.
My dad bought it then. Heavy usage, stuff like offroading, super long trips, massive abuse. more than 100000kms in 8 years.
Massive crash with a vintage Volvo estate around 2007, all doors replaced, car was jammed in the 2nd floor of a building, still no chassis or engine damage. Cost of repair around 700 euros.
I got my license in 2013 (Im 27, I just didnt get a license till then). Got it with 241000 kms. Replaced clutch kit (first time, was supposed to be changed at 100000kms). Added parking sensors, new radio and speakers, gearbox oil. Starter motor needed minor repairs at 255000kms, was supposed to be maintained at 100k too. Absolutely no unexpected problems or breakdows in 18 years.
Engine feels super responsive, fuel consumption is around 8 liters per 100km (heavy traffic, aggresive driving and much unneeded revving), consumption can get better if I calm down.
Brakes are good (completely different than newer models, drivers used to abs and electronic assists dont get along good with them), gearbox is precise and tight, I think it could be a little smoother. The non electronic throttle is really fun.
Drivers door has a different lock and key, due to someone trying to steal it, and braking the lock.
Im thinking of replacing it with an Alfa Romeo 147 (The most luxurious model with all options) or a Corolla T Sport, but I might also keep it, Im not on a tight budget but its a super reliable and practical everyday car, that costs nothing to maintain.

5 door version in 040 White. It is the version with a few more HP, before the european union "strangled" the ECU in order to achieve lower emissions.
Its the simplest possible configuration sold here, manual transmission, no ABS, no electric windows, no power steering, not even the clock on the dashboard. Super light too, I think less than 800kg.
With 255000kms on the odometer, the motor works so great it still outperforms almost anything on the regular, cheap 1.4L subcompact class.
There isnt a single door with the same serial number, since my dad crashed it and managed to get it stuck to the 2nd floor of an apartment complex. Still, no chassis damage, everything replaced and works perfectly to this day.
Anyway, I just wanted to share that I also own one and love it, because most people here dont give a crap about those cars, they say "it will never break down, so theres no reason to care for it, dont service it, ignore rust, rattling plastics etc"."


A bit worn :)

 


No watch, who needs one? Mine has one.
254402 km

airbag information

Toyota hub, not the same as on my car. I don't have that plastic cup, and the rims on mine is black and I think the holes are round.
Toyota Starlet: George has added back sensors. I guess they come handy sometimes
George has added back sensors. I guess they come handy sometimes.


Lacks the little rubber for the board cut. George also has rear speaker that my car lacks.



Noise reduction from rattles I guess?
Rear hatch from an Starlet Glanza (turbo). Nice and sporty!


Brakelight, same as my car.
 


Very fresh, no rust on the cooler  "handles" as in mine.
More power than in my Starlet, this Starlet is not strangled. Dont know what is the diffrent. Perhaps intake and ECU.


Serialnumber and so on.
A stick about engine. I also have this in my car.


 
Oouch.


Not a single door with the same serialnumber,
it has had a tuff life this little car :)


 
A hard life, but still runs without problems. Toyota Starlet Reliability!!


 
The Volvo did this?



  


  


 
Hmm. It does not rain so often in Greece, right? :)


I think it is the same in my car
 


Rear hatch and tankfillerpad
 


  


Cam belt replaced 2009. I still have the original in mine, but it is inspected.
This I do not have in my car, I guess it is the AC-compressor or?



Left Engine mount
Oilfilter


Dash Dimmer, adjusting the instrument light
Here we have the Dash Dimmer, adjusting the instrument light. I think I have this also, but have to check.

Front lights height adjuster. The other I think is a fog light? 
There is no fog light, there was on the original hatch door, but now the hatch door has been change to a  glanza one. Got a message from George: "actually have  a fog light on the glanza hatch. Its on the same position the reverse light is on the right, but on the left and red. Also got some amazing mileage on out of town roads, 700km with around 45 liters!"
I think I have this in my car also, Will check when it gets warmer.

















Well that is it. Thank you George for your contribution! I hope George keep us updated about what happens to his Toyota Starlet.

No comments:

Post a Comment