Tuesday, August 20, 2013

My Toyota Starlet Story and History




Back in the days I had a small KP61 Starlet from year 1984. I did not have any problem with it. Did however change the brake disc, but I think that’s it. I really liked the rear wheel drive and the simplicity of the car. Unfortunately my KP61 was very rusty and the car did not like to be driven on lead free 95 octane fuel (I think the valves didn’t like it). Other memories are that I slept over in the car one time (sitting in the front seat) and it was not comfortable. I only had the car for about 2 years before trading it in for a Volkswagen Polo (which was not as reliable…). The shock absorbers of the Starlet were also worn out. They froze during the winter and it was not nice to ride the car with shock absorbers who did not work!
Why not get another one (KP61)?
Being in a crash in this car would not be safe. Very poor impact stability. And therefore not suitable for an every day cruise car.

However,  ever since then I have had a soft spot for the Toyota Starlet. And I almost bought a KP61 again, but was not fast enough, so it got sold before I got my hands on it.

This summer I bough a 1997 (EP91 or P9) Starlet with about 7364 Swedish miles (73640 km). (very little!)
The EP91 model is one of the best of the Starlet series as it has manual everything with no nasty electric windows (one is broken in my other car: Kia Pride), no steering wheel servo or air conditioning to go wrong, and it has pretty low weight. My 3-door model is sign of simplicity. And I prefer simplicity. No hand-controlled windows in the back seat. No rev-counter. It is Just a simple car, perfect. Simplicity is genius. Why complicate things?. The car has only two front speakers. The boot is bigger than on my Kia Pride. And when folding the rear seat the boot/trunk get completely flat. The Kia chair can be folded a bit more, but you cannot have it all.. (I guess).
It does however have 5 gear transmission and a nice reliable engine (4E-FE), 16 valve and a Cam belt (I would however preferred a cam chain..).
The car I well known to have genuine Toyota quality (at the top?) and has a rumor of being outstandingly reliable.
The Car creates the impression of being built like a small tank – admittedly a lightweight one with a good bit of speed.
The instrumentation is a bit Spartan, having no rev counter. The interior is finished in a hard wearing grey cloth, but looks clean. The speed velocity is very simple with green backlight. The glove compartment is bigger than in the Kia Pride.
The transmission is distinct and the clutch I think is hydraulic, picking points in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment